Military Patrol at the Winter Olympics
The sport of military patrol involved 25 km cross-country skiing and rifle shooting, competing in teams of four (the patrol). The rules were very similar to modern biathlon. Military Patrol was a medal sport in 1924, and also a demonstration sport in 1928, 1936 and 1948. (see more about Military Patrol Demonstrations)
1924 - Official Sport
The only time that the sport of Military Patrol was officially on the Olympic program was in 1924. The competition was held on Tuesday, January 29, 1924. Six teams started the event, but only four finished with Italy and Poland withdrawing due to bad conditions. The event was won by the Swiss team, with Finland and France next.
1928, 1936 & 1948 - Demonstration Sport
- Military Patrol Demonstration Sport
- Biathlon at the Winter Olympics.
- More on Winter Olympic Games demonstration sports
- Winter Olympics Discontinued Sports
- More about the Winter Olympic Games