The 100 meter freestyle event for sailors at the 1896 Athens Olympics, as the name implies, was only open to sailors of the Greek Royal Navy. Only three competitors took place in the event, and the winner was from Greece (of course!). It is an interesting concept for the host team to include this event so as to increase their medal count. It is surprising that this is still considered an official Olympic Games event asi t was not internaitoanal at all.
The winning time was nearly a minute slower than the winner of the open 100 meter freestyle.
- Ioannis Malokinis (Greece) time: 2:20.4
- Spiridon Chasapis (Greece)
- Dimitrios Drivas (Greece)
- Other Discontinued Swimming Events, including the Swimming Plunge for distance and Swimming Obstacle Race
- List of all Discontinued Events
- About the 1896 Olympic Games
- All about Swimming at the Olympic Games