Ultimate is a fast-paced, high-energy team sport played with a flying disc, also known as a Frisbee. It is played between two teams of seven players each, and the objective is to pass the disc down the field and score points by catching it in the opposing team's end zone.
Here is the basic equipment needed for the sport of Ultimate. Note that the actual equipment needed may vary depending on the level of play, the location of the game, and the preferences of the players.
The Ultimate Field
The field used for Ultimate is similar in size and shape to a football field. The dimensions of the field are 70 yards by 40 yards (approximately 70 meters by 37 meters), with end zones that are 25 yards (approximately ? meters) deep at each end. The field is marked with cones or other markers to indicate the boundaries.
The playing surface can be grass or artificial turf, but it must be free of any obstacles or hazards that could cause injury to players. The field should be relatively flat and level, although some minor variations in slope or terrain are usually acceptable.
At each end of the field, there is a scoring zone or end zone. The end zone is typically marked with cones or flags to make it clear where it begins and ends. To score a point, a player must catch the disc while inside the opposing team's end zone.
In addition to the playing field, there is also a sideline that marks the boundary of the playing area. The sideline is used to determine whether the disc is "in" or "out" of bounds when it crosses the field's perimeter.
The Flying Disc
The flying disc (Frisbee) used in Ultimate is circular in shape, with a flat top and a curved bottom. The standard diameter of a disc used in Ultimate is 10.75 inches (27.3 centimeters), and the standard weight is between 175 and 200 grams, with 175 grams being the most common weight.
The edge of the disc is beveled to create a sharp edge that allows for maximum distance and speed when thrown. The disc is made of durable plastic that can withstand the impact of being thrown and caught repeatedly, and is typically brightly colored, with a high-contrast design to make it easy to see during gameplay. The surface of the disc is textured to provide a better grip for players.
- Team Uniforms: Players usually wear matching team uniforms to distinguish their team from their opponents.
- Cleats: Ultimate is typically played on grass or turf, so players usually wear cleats for better traction and grip.
- Water Bottle: It is important to stay hydrated during a game, so a water bottle is essential.
- Cones or Markers: The field is marked by cones or markers to indicate the boundaries of the playing area.
- Stopwatch or Timer: The game is played in timed intervals, so a stopwatch or timer is needed to keep track of the game's progress.
- Scoreboard: A scoreboard is used to keep track of the score.
- Equipment for Disc Golf
- Basic Rules of Ultimate
- Terms used in Ultimate
- About Ultimate Frisbee
- Dictionary of Sporting Terms
- Equipment for Sports