Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, Austin, Texas
The Darrell K. Royal–Texas Memorial Stadium (often referred to as the DKR), is located in Austin, Texas. The stadium is an American Football stadium that belongs to the University of Texas at Austin, and has been home to the Longhorns football team since 1924. It is named in honor of their legendary football coach Darrell K. Royal and in memory of the Texans who lost their lives in World War I.
The stadium was opened in 1924 with an initial capacity of 27,000. After repeated renovations, with the most recent one being completed in 2009, the stadium's current official capacity is at 100,119. In terms of seating capacity, it is the ninth largest stadium in the world, eighth largest within the United States, and the second largest within the state of Texas behind Kyle Field.
The stadium is primarily used for playing college football games. The University of Texas at Austin Longhorns, host all their home games in this stadium. It is also used annually for playing the Austin Bowl game.
The stadium very commonly records attendances of over 100,000 and also very frequently sees crowds that exceed the official capacity. The highest attendance at the stadium was recorded at 103,507 for a game against USC in 2018.
Major Events Held at Texas Memorial Stadium
Here are just some of the major events that have been held at Texas Memorial Stadium:
- 1974: music concert, ZZ Top / Santana / Joe Cocker / Bad Company
- The annual Austin Bowl game
Texas Memorial Stadium Trivia
- This stadium is on the list of the top-10 World's Largest Sporting Stadiums.
- The stadium has gone by many names over the years. It was originally the "War Memorial Stadium" (1924-47), then the "Memorial Stadium" (1948-76), the "Texas Memorial Stadium" (1977-95), before being named after legendary football coach Darrell K Royal in 1996.
- Eight 100-foot Light towers were added in 1955 at a cost of $200,000.
- All stadiums list
- Top-10 largest stadiums in the world
- Top-10 largest stadiums in the USA
- More USA Stadiums
- Sport in the USA