Muscles Stretched: Gastrocnemius
- Stand with one leg in front of the other, with both feet pointed forward. Place hands on a wall or similar for support
- Keep back knee straight, with the heel pressed to the floor
- Push your hips forward, while pressing your back heel to ground
- Hold the stretch
- Repeat on each leg
- All stretches should be felt in the back leg NOT the front leg
- In general, stretches that bend the knee focus on the soleus muscle, while stretches that straighten the knee focus on the gastrocnemius muscle.
- The information about each stretch should be read in conjunction with the stretching guidelines.
- See the similar soleus stretch
- Description of the calf muscle group
- See stretching guidelines for further instructions.
- Complete stretching list
- why Spider-Man?
- See also tests to Measure Flexibility
- See all flexibility images in the Stretching Exercises Clipart Image Collection