A medical screening is a series of medical tests or examinations conducted by a health professional, such as a sports physician or physiotherapist, often performed annually as part of a check up or used prior to recruitment or employment of an athlete. It is used to determine if there are any potential problem areas, injuries that are present or are susceptible, and any other pre-existing condition. Any person beginning an exercise program should at least complete the Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (PARQ).
Medical Screening for the UEFA Champions League
As an example, here is some details of the medical screening that is performed for international football players, as published in the 2009/10 Regulations of the UEFA Champions League document. This medical screening is very comprehensive, and is divided into the following components:
- Personal Football History - details of playing position, dominant leg and number of games played in previous year.
- Medical History
- Family history is medical condition
- Player medical history
- Current complaints and symptoms
- Current medication and vaccination
- General Medical Exam - a routine physical examination conducted by the doctor, such as blood pressure, heart and chest sounds, reflexes
- Special Cardiological Examination - 12-lead electrocardiogram (ECG) and an
echocardiography, and if indicated conducted during exercise.
- Laboratory Examination - a blood count and urine test is mandatory, with a range of other tests recommended.
- Orthopaedic Examination and Functional Tests - there are mandatory inspection and functional examination tests of the spinal column, shoulder, hip, knee, lower leg, ankle and foot. Other tests that are recommended are range of motion tests, muscle balance and muscle strength (one-leg hop).
- Radiological Examination and Ultrasound Scan - if required based on the above examinations.
- Measurements in Sports Medicine
- Functional Movement Screening
- The pre-exercise Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (PARQ)
- Testing for effects of concussion
- Information about sports injury prevention
- treating sports injuries
- Winners of the UEFA Champions League