There are always sports on the fringe of being selected onto the Olympic Games program. In recent years, Baseball and Softball have been dropped, and golf and rugby union will return in 2016, as well as kiteboarding replacing windsurfing in the sailing discipline. Sports come in and out of vogue around the world over time, and in order to continue to be relevant to the world of sport, the Olympic Games needs to adapt to these changes.
10 Sports That Must Be Added to Future Summer Games
Here is a list of ten sports that should be added to future Summer Olympic Games, according to a list published on the Bleacher Report website in Aug 2012. We have to agree with some of them.
- Softball — it is hard to see softball in the Games without its male counterpart baseball, but it does have unique reasons to be brought back in.
- Golf Pentathlon — Did they make this up? A skill event to be added alongside the game of golf, this would include: driving distance, driving accuracy, putting, chipping and distance approach.
- Beach Soccer — a popular sport around the world, and good for spectators too.
- Futsal — another very popular variation of the world's most popular sport.
- Pankration (or Mixed Martial Arts) — MMA a popular martial arts, and could maybe replace the list of martial arts events already on the program. It makes sense considering its links back to the similar ancient Olympic sport of Pankration.
- Bowling — Once an Olympic demonstration sport in 1988, and a sport at the Commonwealth Games.
- Cricket — one of the most popular sports in the world should be brought back, clearly just due to its popularity.
- Racquetball and Squash — Squash is already on the verge of getting into the Games.
- Surfing — an artificial wave pool could make surfing possible in all host cities
- Skateboarding — If the IOC want to attract the younger audience, then this may be the sport. if Roller Sports is close to getting in the Games, then Skateboarding must not be far off either, or maybe a joint bid?
- How sports are selected for the Olympics
- Read about the number of sports at each Olympiad, and the changes over time.
- POLL: Which of these sports should be next included in the Games? plus other Olympic Games Polls