German athletes have competed at the Olympic Games since 1896, with the county either divided or united. Although West Germany came into being after WWII, from 1956 to 1964 both East and West Germany participated as the Unified Team of Germany (and their records are considered as Germany). It was only from 1968 to 1988 that East and West Germany participated as separate countries, before participating as a single nation again for the 1992 Games.
- Germany have hosted the Olympic Games twice, in Berlin in 1936 and in Munich in 1972. Berlin was also selected to host the Games in 1916, but the event was canceled due to WW1.
- West Germany, East Germany and Germany at the Winter Olympics
- About the Unified Team of Germany
- List of all countries that have participated at the Olympic Games.
- Berlin Olympic Games 1936
- Munich Olympic Games 1972.
- About Sport in Germany