- The Rhythmic Gymnastics program is for women women only, performing in both team and individual competition across four apparatus.
- Judging is based on the skill of the gymnast in leaps, balances, pivots, flexibility, apparatus handling and artistic effect.
- Gymnasts will compete in a team event which counts as both a medal event and the qualification round for the Individual All-Around and Individual Apparatus events.
- The apparatus used are the Rope, Ball, Clubs and Ribbon.
- In 1994 Kasumi Takahashi, at 14 the youngest of the Australian Team, won 5 Gold medals in Rhythmic Gymnastics – the Individual All Around, Ball, Clubs, Hoop and Ribbon.