Isometric Back Strength Test
- purpose: this test measures back strength, which is important in core stability and for preventing lower back pain.
- equipment required: table top or padded bench as found in a weights gym
- procedure: Subjects must lie face down on a bench, with their upper body from the waist hanging over the end of the bench. The subject's feet must be held or strapped down, and the arms by their side or clasped behind the back. When ready, they must bring their body up to the horizontal position, and hold this for a set period (e.g. 45 seconds).
- scoring: This test will be assessed as a pass or fail.
- advantages: this is a simple test to perform
- disadvantages: You are only able to test one person at a time.
- variations: the time that the horizontal position is held can be varied.