Fitness Tests for Specific Populations
Many of the tests described on this site are designed for testing the fitness of sports people, though they can be used as they are or modified to cater for specific groups.
- Sport Specific Testing — many testing protocols for over 25 sports such as basketball, soccer and tennis.
- Workplace Fitness Assessments — general discussion and lists of tests performed for workplaces such as the armed forces and similar groups - Navy, Army, Marines, Police and Fire Service.
- Sports Referees & Umpires — about fitness tests for the specific demands of sports officials.
Testing for Specific Age Groups
There are specific requirements for testing young people and the elderly population. Read the Guide to Age Group Testing, Testing for the Elderly and Testing Children for more information about fitness testing such groups. Below are some of the testing protocols for specific age groups.
Children / School Age (more)
- FitnessGram — fitness assessment for school age children
- Presidents Challenge — a test battery for primary school age children.
- International Physical Fitness Test — developed for Arab youth aged 9 to 19 years.
- National Physical Fitness Awards — fitness testing program for Singapore's schools.
- Connecticut Physical Fitness Test — fitness assessment given annually to all students in grades 4, 6, 8, and 10 in the US state of Connecticut.
- ALPHA-Fit — designed to assess the health-related fitness status in children and adolescents of the EU.
- Eurofit — European test battery.
Testing the Elderly (more)
- Groningen Fitness Test for the Elderly (GFE)
- The Senior Fitness Test also known as the Fullerton Functional Test.
- AAHPERD Functional Fitness Test, another test battery designed for testing the older population.
Testing People with Disabilities
- Brockport Physical Fitness Test (BPFT) — health-related tests of physical fitness, appropriate for use with youngsters with disabilities.
- A Multistage Field Test (MFT) — for wheelchair users.
- 12 minute Wheelchair Aerobic Test
- Testing the Obese — a discussion about appropriate tests for overweight subjects and how to modify tests if needed.
- Minnesota Manual Dexterity Test - for disability evaluation.
- video of a wheelchair VO2max test
- 10m beep test designed for children with cerebral palsy (CP).
Other Testing Programs
- Home Tests — fitness tests that can be performed with minimal equipment by anyone at home.
- P90x — about the fitness test which is part of the P90x training and weight loss 90 day program.
- F45 playoffs — an 10 minute fitness test from F45: 10 stations, 45 seconds work per station, 15 secs rest.
- For those who are unable to stand (too young, too old, injured or ill), a recumbent height measurement may be appropriate.
- There is also a full list of all the fitness tests on this site that you can browse.
- Also have a look at some suggestions for simple tests to conduct as part of a project at a science fair.