Sport Specific Testing
There is large variations in the physical demands required to compete in different sports. The event duration can vary greatly, from the explosive single action of the shot put, to ultra endurance events lasting many days.
The primary energy systems required can also vary, ranging from the highly aerobic marathon, to the anaerobic 100m sprint, and the multitude of team sports which require a combination of the energy systems.
In line with the variations in the demands of the sports, the fitness tests that are implemented should reflect these differences. Also, when attempting to interpret fitness testing results, it is important to have an idea of what is the relative importance of the specific fitness components.
Fitness Testing for Sports
- Athletics (T & F)
- American Football
- Aussie Rules
- Field Hockey
- Football / Soccer
- Horse Racing / Jockeys
- Ice Hockey
- Rugby League
- Rugby Union
- Tenpin Bowling
- Water Polo
More information about fitness testing can be found in the
Guide to Fitness Testing.
- Fitness Testing for Sports Draft Camps
- About the sport specific SPARQ rating system
- About the sport specific eTID Program for Talent Identification.
- Which are the Fittest Sports?
- Who is the World's Greatest Athlete?
- Testing Umpires and Referees
- About Skill Testing.
Sport Specific Tests
- AFL — Running Vertical Jump, Reaction Time, Sprint Recovery Test, Agility.
- Boxing — Quick Strike, Punching Speed and Punching Power
- Baseball — Sprint test from home to first base
- Basketball — Lane Agility, Sprint 3/4 Court, Max Touch, reactive shuttle
- Cycling — 40 m cycle sprint, 2km time trial
- Hockey — Shuttle Cross Pickup, on ice beep test.
- Rowing — 500m Rowing Ergometer Test, 2km Rowing Ergo Test
- Rugby Union — J.A.M. intermittent test
- Soccer — Loughborough Intermittent Shuttle Test, Yo-Yo Intermittent Tests, Arrowhead Agility, Balsom Agility, FIFA Interval Test 1 and Test 2, FIT Interval Test.
- Swimming — Swimming Beep Test, Swimming Step Test, Critical Swim Speed
- Triathlon — 1 km swim, 100m Swim
- Water Polo — Vertical Jump in the water, Shuttle Swim Test and the Intermittent Shuttle Test