The 'Friendly Games'
The Commonwealth Games is a sporting event staged between the elite athletes of countries from the Commonwealth. It is held every four years, and is conducted over many sports, in a format much like the Olympic Games.
- past countries: Ireland, Irish Free State, Malaya, North Borneo, Sarawak, Newfoundland [Jul '14]
- David Dixon Award winners [Feb '13]
- Gold Coast Sports List [Feb '13]
- Commonwealth Games quiz [Nov '12]
- Past participating Countries and maybe some for the future [May '12]
- Gold Coast 2018 plus venues [Nov '11]
- Commonwealth Games Videos [Sep '10]
- Sports for Glasgow 2014 [Sep '10]
- 2010 Mascot [Sep '10]
- Medal Trivia [Sep '10]
The Commonwealth Games attracts the top athletes of member nations of the Commonwealth, thus making it a world-class competition, second only to the Olympic Games in many people's opinion.
The Commonwealth Games are unique in the world of sport as it is based on a historical linkage of Commonwealth countries, not based on geographic features such as the Asian, Pan Am and African Games, or based on climatic conditions such as the Winter Olympics. The Games are also unique as it shares a common language, unlike the Olympic Games, as all athletes and officials can speak with each other in English, creating an atmosphere that has led to the Commonwealth Games being long known as the 'Friendly Games'. (see comparison between the Commonwealth and Olympic Games.
- Host cities - profiles and results from each Games.
- Country Profiles - facts and figures about each part and present participants at the Games.
- Commonwealth Games History
- Mascots - a list of mascots for each of the Games from 1978
- Trivia - all you need to know.
- Which sports are included
- Queen's Baton Relay - where it goes and what it means
- Medal counts from previous games.
- Name changes - The Commonwealth Games has been known by a few different names.
- David Dixon Award - winners of the Outstanding Athlete of the Commonwealth Games award
- Books - books about the Commonwealth Games for sale.
- Commonwealth Games Videos
- food service at the Delhi Commonwealth Games 2010
- other world sporting events