Sport in Norway
Children in Norway play a wide variety of games that don’t require technology. Some of which is Gjemsel or hide and seek, Tikken or tag, and the most popular is the Stiv Heks or Stiff Witch in English. In this game, the “witch” has to “freeze” everyone to be the winner. The young also play card games such as Gnav, Vri Atter, Gris, and Mattis.
There is a popular expression about Norwegians that says “Norwegians are born with skis”. This is mostly due to the fact that a large part of the country is covered in snow. Cross-country skiing and all forms of skating are the country’s national past time. Norway also has an excellent record in Track and Field, particularly in long distance running.
Norway had produced successful athletes in many fields of sports. Sonja Henie, a figure skater, is one of the famous athletes in Norway. Henie captured gold medals in the 1928,1932, and 1936 Winter Games. For the Track and Field was Erik Tysse who competed at four editions of the world championships in athletics. He also represented Norway at the 2008 and 2012 Summer Olympics. Lastly, Ingri Kristiansen was regarded to be the one of the best female long distance runner during the 1980s and the first athlete to win world titles on all three surfaces.
Skiing competitions were introduced in the 18th century. The Holmen Kollen Ski Festival is now held annually and still attracts numerous of people.
Below are details of sports, sporting events and sports people related to Norway.
Popular sports of Norway
- Football (Soccer), Skiing
Traditional or Regional Sports
- Basse — a bag ball game from Norway in which the ball is kept from landing in the player's area, using any part of the body except the hands.
Norway's Sporting Success
Athletes from Norway
- Sonja Henie - figure skating
- Erik Tysse - track and field
- Ingri Kristiansen - distance running
- Bjørn Dæhlie - cross-country skiing
- Grete Waitz - marathon runner and former world record holder
Norway Sports trivia
Norway at major events
- Norway at the Summer Olympics
- Norway at the Winter Olympics
- Norway women's football team at the FIFA Women's World Cup
Past sporting events hosted in Norway
Upcoming sporting events in Norway
Annual sporting events held in Norway
Sporting Facilities in Norway
Is there something missing? If you know of something that should be listed here, please let me know.