Sport in Morocco
Morocco or the Kingdom of Morocco has their own way of showing their love of sports. They excel in different kinds of sports and they proved it when Hicham El Guerrouj took two gold medals in 2004 Summer Olympics in athletics.
The most popular sport in Morocco that you can see everywhere in the country and most of the population, even the young ones, is playing is football. Due to the popularity of the sport in the country, they made an annual Football Competition which they called Botola Pro. There are sixteen teams that compete to get the crown - and the champion and runner-up in the competition get to participate in the African Champions League.
Sports in Morocco are not only for the local population but for tourists as well. Camel and horse riding, as well as hiking and golf as quite popular and imcreasing in popularity in the Moroccan modern culture. Skiing is also available so they can show how beautiful the mountains in Morocco are. Water sports like swimming is also available mainly because they have a lot of superb resorts and beaches that the people in Morocco and the tourist enjoy.
Below are details of sports, sporting events and sports people related to Morocco. Is there something missing? If you know of something that should be listed here, please let us know.
Popular sports of Morocco
- Football (Soccer), motorsports, rugby, handball, golf, tennis, basketball, athletics, skiing.
Morocco Sporting Success
- Hicham El Guerrouj took two gold medals in 2004 Summer Olympics in athletics
Athletes from Morocco
- Hicham El Guerrouj (running)
- Mehdi Bennani (motorsports)
Morocco Sports trivia
- An Algerian-Moroccan squad rode in the 1950 Tour de France when only national and regional teams were allowed to enter.
- The 2015 Africa Cup of Nations event was scheduled was to be held in Morocoo, but they withdraw as host because of fears it would lead to a further spread of the Ebola virus.
- The first Arab Muslim woman to claim an Olympic gold medal was Morocco's Nawal El Moutawakel when she won the women's 400 metres hurdles at LA 1984.
Morocco at major events
Past sporting events hosted in Morocco
- 2013 International Youth Games
- 2019 African Games, Rabat, Morocco
2020 African Para Games
Upcoming sporting events in Morocco
Annual sporting events held in Morocco
- Moroccan Grand Prix
- Botola Pro - the professional football league for Morocco
- Nationale 1 - the national basketball league
Sporting Facilities in Morocco
- The National Sports Center Moulay Rachid, Salé
- National Cricket Stadium, Tangier