Sport in Fiji
Fiji is an island country located in the South Pacific Ocean. This archipelago is consist of 332 islands where Rugby union rules.
Relative to the size of the coutry's population, their national rugby union team is quite successful competing in most Rugby World Cups starting from 1987. They reached the quarter finals the first year they joined which they repeated in 2007 when they took down Wales. They also compete in the IRB Pacific Nations Cup, who ranks them 11th in the world as of March 2014, and the Pacific Tri-Nations where they are the dominant team. Fiji has a total of about 80,000 rugby union players which is a lot considering that the whole country's population is only around 950,000. Sadly though, a lot of the more talented players from Fiji end up playing for other countries like cousins Sitiveni Sivivatu and Joe Rokocoko (New Zealand All Blacks) as well as Lote Tuqiri who played for the Australian Wallabies.
In Rio 2016, in probably Fiji's greatest sporting achievemnt, the Fiji men won the first ever Olympic Rugby seven's tournament - their first medal of any color.
Football (soccer) is also quite popular in Fiji. Football gained popularity mainly due to FIFA's assistance and their national team took third place in the 2008 OFC Nations Cup and have also won the Pacific Games twice (1991 and 2003)
Below are details of sports, sporting events and sports people related to Fiji. Is there something missing? If you know of something that should be listed here, please let us know.
Popular sports of Fiji
- Rugby, Football (Soccer)
Fiji Sporting Success
- The Fiji men won the first ever Olympic Rugby seven's tournament - their first medal of any color.
Athletes from Fiji
- Vijay Singh (golf)
- Lote Tuqiri (rugby)
- Anthony Steven "Tony" Philp (Windsurfing)
Fiji Sports trivia
- Fiji has a total of about 80,000 rugby union players, nearly 10% of the whole country's population.
- Only two Fiji-born athletes have been ranked number one in their sports official world ranking list - Vijay Singh (golf) and Anthony Steven "Tony" Philp (Windsurfing)
Fiji at major events
- Fiji at the Summer Olympics
- Fiji at the Winter Olympics
- Fiji at the Commonwealth Games
- Fiji at the Rugby World Cup
- Fiji at the Netball World Cup