400 meter Run Test
The 400m run test requires the participants to run at maximal effort over 400m. This test was part of the eTID Talent Identification Testing Program for triathlon, and their protocol is listed here. This test has been used for triathletes as a measure of kick speed.
purpose: The aim of this test is to complete 400 meters in the quickest possible time. This is a test of an athlete’s ability to run quickly over a short distance.
equipment required: oval or 400m running track, stopwatch, recording sheets.
pre-test: Explain the test procedures to the subject. Perform screening of health risks and obtain informed consent. Prepare forms and record basic information such as age, height, body weight, gender, test conditions. Measure and mark out the course. Ensure that the participants are adequately warmed-up. See more details of pre-test procedures.
procedure: To start, all participants line up behind the starting line. On the command ‘ready, start’, the clock will start, and they will begin running. The subject is to run the 400m route as fast as possible without stopping. Stop the stopwatch when the subject crosses the 400m finish line.
scoring: The total time taken to run 400m is recorded, to the nearest second.
reliability: the reliability of this test would depend on practice and pacing strategies and motivation level. There should be good reliability if these issues are addressed.
advantages: several participants can be tested at once, and it is a very cheap and simple test to perform.
disadvantages: good pacing is required to maximize the performance, and also the test results can be affected greatly by motivation.
- If not using a 400m running track, determine the appropriate route over a 200m out and back course to account for changes in wind.
- The runners may finish very close to each other in this test. If you do not have enough assistants to record the times or a stopwatch that can record split times, you may wish to separate the participants into smaller groups.
The Test in Action
- This test was part of the eTID Talent Identification Testing Program for triathlon
- 300m run — time to run 300m on a track testing anaerobic capacity.
- 45 Second Run — speed endurance measuring maximum distance covered in 45 seconds.
- 800m Run Test — time to run 800m
- Other anaerobic capacity tests
- About the eTID Talent Identification Testing Program.
- ETID Fitness Testing for Triathlon