Heart Rate Apps
You may be surprised that you can actually measure your heart rate using your smart phone. There are many Apps that can do this, I have reviewed and linked to the Instant Heart Rate app, the most popular free heart rate app available for both Android phones and Apple iphones and ipads.
How It Works
You measure your heart rate by placing your finger gently over the camera of your mobile device. The camera picks up the changes in blood flow by tracking color changes in the light that passes through your finger, corresponding to each beat of the heart. After only a few seconds it can determine your current heart rate, shown on the phone's display. This technique is the same as used in the medical field with pulse oximeters. This App works best on devices with a camera flash, as the light source is used to shine the light though the finger tissue. Otherwise, you can still use it in good lighting conditions. It also works best when you hands are warm.
The Instant Heart Rate App has the following features:
- Heart rate measurement, beeps with your pulse.
- Real-time chart will show your every heart beat.
- Real-time PPG (EKG-like graph).
- Sharing to Twitter, Facebook and other social networks.
Find it on the USA iphone App Store: Instant Heart Rate: HR Monitor - by Azumio Inc.
If you have an Android phone, you can get the Instant Heart Rate app from the play store.
- Other fitness testing phone apps
- Heart Rate Variability (HRV) Test
- About measuring heart rate
- Links to other fitness testing products