The International Society for the Advancement of Kinanthropometry, or ISAK of short, was founded on July 20th, 1986 in Glasgow . Its predecessor was the International Working Group on Kinanthropometry, founded in Brazil in 1978. It is an organization of individuals whose scientific and professional endeavor is related to kinanthropometry.
ISAK's main purpose is to maintain an international network of like-minded colleagues working on the standardization of anthropometric techniques and applications. ISAK has defined and approved an international anthropometry accreditation scheme which is used throughout the world to train and accredit people in anthropometry.
Information about anthropometry courses and the 4-level ISAK accreditation scheme can be found on their website, the link is below.
Levels of ISAK accreditation
There are 4 levels of ISAK accreditation:
- The first level is designed for the majority of ISAK-accredited anthropometrists who have little on-going requirement for more than the measurement of height, weight and skinfolds. These courses are therefore ideal for sport and exercise science students and staff engaged in academic activities that require basic anthropometric assessment, sport scientists, physiotherapists and nutritionists requiring accurate anthropometric profiling, and health professionals that offer client profiling.
- Level 2 is designed for those anthropometrists who wish to offer their participants a more-comprehensive range of measurements, and have already achieved Level 1 accreditation
- This level is designed only for those anthropometrists who wish to engage in the training and accreditation of Levels 1 and 2 anthropometrists, and have already achieved Level 2 accreditation
- Level 4 is the most senior level. It recognizes many years of experience in taking ISAK-approved measurements, a high level of theoretical knowledge, involvement in the teaching/examining of ISAK workshops or courses, involvement in large anthropometric projects and a significant publication record in anthropometry.
- Calibrating Skinfold Calipers
- Description of all skinfold sites
- Skinfold measurement procedure.
- Anthropometry Tests
- Videos of Anthropometric Tests
- skinfold caliper store