Running of the Reindeer
The running of the reindeer is an annual event held in Anchorage Alaska, as part of the Fur Rendezvous Festival (known locally as the Fur Rondy). The event was first held in 2008, and involves people running down a four-block downtown street, with a group of reindeer released behind them, charging through the runners in a homage to Pamplona's more well-known Running of the Bulls.
In this fun event, participants brave the cold in a variety of attire, or lack thereof. The run features domesticated caribou, so does not hold the same level of danger as the similar running of the bulls event in Spain.
Other unusual events that form part of the Fur Rendezvous Festival include
- Frostbite Footrace - competitors in costume run through downtown Anchorage
- World Championship Dog Weight Pull - sled dogs attempt to pull the greatest weight
- Mr. Fur Face beard contest - beards are grown as long as possible, decorated and shaped.
- Read about the original Running of the Bulls
- The alternative Running of the Nudes event
- More unusual sports
- Videos of unusual sports