The new sport of Stairball was created by Peter Germ of Georgia, United States in January 2016. The sport, as indicated in the name, is played on a set of 7-8 stairs with a top and bottom zone. There are 3 players per side: 1 hitter and 2 on the stairs. There are 5 x 5 minute periods. The team with the most points at the end wins.
Play begins with one hitter, who will be in the top or bottom zone, hitting the ball into play with his stick. The other two players of each team face their backs to their team's hitter.
The goal of the game is for the players to hit the ball into the zone they face at the start of play.
The offensive team is described as the team whose hitter starts with the ball.
- If the offensive team hits the ball into the opposing zone, they are awarded 4 points.
- If the defensive team hits the ball into the zone they face, they are awarded 2 points.
- If the offensive team hits the ball into their own zone, they lose a point.
- If the ball is grabbed, the team that grabbed it loses 2 points. The ball can only be grabbed if a player from both teams has touched the ball with their stick.
Upon a score, the ball will be given to the hitter occupying the zone in which the ball landed.
- OB- Occurs when a player hits the ball out of bounds, which is defined as any place on the field not on the stairs or in the zones. Effect- Forfeiture of possession
- Intentional OB- Any player intentionally hits the ball into another player, causing the ball to travel out of bounds as if to frame the player. Effect- Forfeiture of possession
- Zone Violation- Any player touches either zone before the ball does. Effect- Forfeiture of possession.
- Whacking- Hitting another players stick to intentionally hinder their chances of making a play. Effect- 10 second man advantage
- Tripping- Tripping another player. Effect- 15 second man advantage
- Pushing- Intentionally forcing a player to commit a Zone Violation. Effect- 15 second man advantage
- Excessive Physical Contact/Roughing- Fighting, shoving, etc. with an opposing player. Effect- 25 second man advantage to instigator, 10 second man advantage to other player(s) after above sentence is served.
Upon a score, the man advantage is null, no matter how much time is remaining on the sentence.
equipment required: Any ball 2-2.15 inches in diameter. Sticks for every player with a handle of 8.5" and a blade of 6". One set of 7-8 stairs.
Disclaimer: Playing on stairs can cause injury. I highly recommend you do not play without proper supervision and protection.
Rate this Sport
What do you think about this 'sport'? Please rate it on its potential.
- Other new sports
- Complete list of unusual sports