Bodybuilding is the use of weight training exercises to improve and develop one’s body muscles. It combines the use of specialized heavy exercise equipment to target specific muscle groups and the different types of repetitive movements. The person who does this activity is a bodybuilder.
This kind of activity was known to originate from the stone-lifting traditions of Ancient Egypt and Greece. But nowadays, there are competitions for bodybuilders. In competition bodybuilding, participants show their developed muscular build through their own posing routines and specific poses required at the competition. They are judged based on muscularity, conditioning, and symmetry.
To look better during competitions, competitors prepare through a combination of fat loss, dehydration, tanning and oils. However, during the period of building their physique, they do heavy strength training, follow specialized nutrition, and strictly get adequate rest (see bodybuilding guide).
- Olympic Weightlifting — competitors attempt to lift weights mounted on barbells.
- Power Lifting — tests of strength on three lifts: dead lift, bench press and squat.
- Kettlebell Lifting — a weight lifting sport performed with kettlebells, which are heavy weights that resemble a cannonball with a handle.
- Weight training exercises
- List of weight lifting sports
- A guide to bodybuilding
- Complete list of sports
- The Encyclopedia of Sports