Below is a list of the basic equipment needed for the sport of fencing. Some of the equipment, such as the mask and jacket, may have different requirements depending on the level of competition or the specific rules of the event. Additionally, it is important to have appropriate safety equipment and to ensure that all equipment is in good condition and properly fitted to the fencer.
- Weapon: The three types of weapons used in fencing are foil, epee, and sabre. Each weapon has a different blade, length, and weight. Depending on the type of fencing being practiced, one or more of these weapons may be needed. (see more about fencing weapons)
- Mask: A protective mask is worn to protect the face and head from the thrusts of the opponent's weapon.
- Jacket: A padded jacket is worn to protect the torso from the impact of the opponent's weapon.
- Glove: A glove is worn on the weapon hand to protect the fingers and hand from being hit.
- Pants: Padded pants are worn to protect the legs from the impact of the opponent's weapon.
- Plastron: A plastron is worn underneath the jacket to provide additional protection to the chest and underarm.
- Lame: A metallic vest is worn over the jacket in foil and sabre fencing to register hits electronically.
- Fencing Shoes: Special fencing shoes are worn to provide traction and stability on the fencing strip.
- Body Cord: A body cord connects the fencer's weapon to a scoring machine to register hits.
- Scoring Machine: A scoring machine is used to detect hits and register points during competition.
- Fencing Bag: A fencing bag is used to carry and transport the equipment to and from practice or competition.
- Fencing Weapons, and their different rules
- About the sport of fencing
- Fencing Rules
- See the main fencing page
- Equipment for Sports