Here are just some of the 'blood sports' from history. To find out more, read our discussion about blood sports.
List of Blood Sports (just of few of the many)
- Bear Baiting
- Bull Baiting
- Bull Fighting
- Cock Fighting
- Cock Throwing — a rooster is tied to a post and people took turns throwing sticks at it until the rooster died.
- Dog Fighting
- Goose Pulling — a goose was hung by its legs while a man on a horseback would attempt to grab it by the neck to try and pull its head off.
- Fox Tossing — with a person on each end of a sling tossed the fox upwards, the team with the highest throw would win.
- Venatio - played out in Roman amphitheaters involving the hunting and killing of wild animals.
Other Blood Sports?
- About Hunting Sports
- Pato — this Argentinian sport was once played with a duck instead of a ball.
- Sport Fishing — in competition fishing contestants compete for prizes based on the total length or weight of a fish, usually of a pre-determined species, caught within a specified timeframe.
- Discussion about Blood Sports
- Ancient Sports
- Complete List of Sports
- Animals and the Olympic Games
- Unusual Sports that are cruel to animals