Sanford Stadium, Athens, Georgia
The Sanford Stadium is located on the campus of the University of Georgia in Athens, Georgia. The stadium was opened in 1929. From the original capacity of 30,000, it has been expanded to accommodate 92,746 fans. It is the 9th largest stadium in the United States.
Major Events Held at Sanford Stadium
Here are just some of the major events that have been held at Sanford Stadium:
- 1996 - Summer Olympics - soccer tournament
Sanford Stadium Trivia
- The stadium is named after Dr. Steadman Vincent Sanford, an early major force behind University of Georgia athletics program
- Games played at Sanford Stadium are said to be played "between the hedges", due to the field being surrounded by hedges.
- All stadiums list
- Top-10 largest stadiums in the world
- Top-10 largest stadiums in the USA
- More USA Stadiums
- 1996 Summer Olympics
- Sport in the USA