Estadio Olímpico Universitario
(University Olympic Stadium)
Estadio Olímpico Universitario (in English: University Olympic Stadium) is located inside Ciudad Universitaria in Mexico City, Mexico. The stadium was designed in 1950 and inaugurated in 1953, and was the largest stadium in Mexico at the time (the largest stadium is now Estadio Azteca)
Estadio Olímpico Universitario was the main stadium for the 1968 Mexico City Olympic Games. It was the site of the opening and closing ceremonies, the athletic competitions and the equestrian team jumping events.
Major events held at the Estadio Olímpico Universitario
- 1955 - Pan American Games
- 1968 - Olympic Games opening and closing ceremonies
- 1986 - hosted four games of the FIFA World Cup (the final match was played in the bigger Estadio Azteca)
- At this stadiumn US sprinters Tommie Smith and John Carlos held their famous protest against the treatment of African Americans.
- Every Olympic Games stadium
- Stadiums in Mexico
- All stadiums list
- Top-10 largest stadiums in the world
- About the 1968 Olympic Games
- Sport in Mexico