The Sapporo Dome is located in Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan. The stadium opened in 2001, and has a capacity of 41,484 for football, slightly more for baseball. It is used mainly for baseball and association football games. There is a fixed dome roof, and the grass surface for football games slides in from outside the stadium.
This stadium is one of the venues for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, to be used for football matches.
Major Events Held at the Sapporo Dome
- 2002 - three matches of the FIFA World Cup.
- 2007 - FIS Nordic World Ski Championships
- 2017 - venue for the opening ceremony of the 2017 Asian Winter Games
- 2019 - two matches of the 2019 Rugby World Cup.
- 2021 - football matches for Tokyo 2020 Olympics
- The Dome can switch between two entirely different playing surfaces: Baseball games are played on an underlying artificial turf field, while football games are held on a grass pitch that slides above it as needed
- The stadium is the home field of the baseball team Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters and the association football club Hokkaido Consadole Sapporo.
- Olympic Games stadiums
- More stadiums of Japan
- All Stadiums List
- 2020 Tokyo Olympics
- Venues of the Tokyo Olympic Games
- About Sport in Japan