The Rome Olympic Stadium (Stadio Olimpico) is located north of the city of Rome, and is the largest sports facility in the city, and is now mainly used for football matches.
At the 1960 Olympic Games, the stadium hosted the opening and closing ceremonies and the athletics competitions. It was rebuilt for the 1990 FIFA World Cup and it hosted the tournament final.
Major Events Held at Rome Olympic Stadium
Here are just some of the major events that have been held at Rome Olympic Stadium:
- 1960 - Summer Olympic Games
- 1974 - European Athletics Championships
- 1975 - Summer Universiade
- 1977 - European Cup Final
- 1980 - UEFA Euro 1980
- 1984 - European Cup Final
- 1987 - World Championships in Athletics
- 1990 - FIFA World Cup Final.
- 1996 - UEFA Champions League Final
- 2001 - Summer Deaflympics
- 2009 - UEFA Champions League Final.
- 2020 - UEFA Euro 2020
Rome Olympic Stadium Trivia
- The stadium has had three names: the Stadio dei Cipressi, (1937-1953), the Stadio dei Centomila (1953-1960) and the Stadio Olimpico (1960+).