What method should be used to break a tie in soccer?
A draw in soccer is not always desirable, for both the fans and the players. How to break the tie? Here are a few options, which have either been suggested or even used in the past - which one do you think is the best?
- Extra time only - play extra time only to try and get a winner.
- Golden Goal - during extra time, or for an unlimited time, keep plying until a goal is scored.
- Penalty Shoot out - at the end of full time or extra time, have a penalty shoot out.
- One-on-one - a variation of the penalty shoot out, where the attacking player dribbles the ball towards the goalie from the midline, and can shoot at any time.
- Player drop off - during an extra time period, a pre-determined times a player from each team is sent off, gradually decreasing the number of players on the field, until a goal is scored.
- Toss a coin - at the end of full time, if the scores are equal then just toss a coin to see who is the winner.
- A draw is a draw! - if the game ends up as a draw, leave it at that.
Disclaimer: These polls are not scientific, and only reflect the opinion of visitors to this website who have chosen to participate.