Olympic Games Nutrition in Tokyo 2020
At the Tokyo Olympic Games, catering for over 18,000 Olympic and 8,000 Paralympic athletes from around the world and the huge number of support staff that goes comes with them, requires a huge food service undertaking. The food supplied at the Olympic Village has the challenge to cater to a diversity of sports, cultures, ages and special dietary needs.
Below is some information about the Olympic Village food service and menu for Tokyo 2020, in 2021). We have more pages about Olympic Village nutrition with links to information about the food supplied at other Olympic Games.
The Dining Spaces
The Tokyo Olympics will establish three types of dining halls in the Olympic and Paralympic Villages, each with different functions, providing food and beverages that meet the different needs of the athletes.
- Main Dining Hall - will focus on nutrition management and the diverse diet customs of the athletes to enable them to perform to the peak of their abilities during competitions.
- Casual Dining Hall - a casual space where athletes can enjoy Japanese cuisine and other dishes using local specially-procured products.
- Grab and Go canteen - providing supplementary foods, including a variety of snacks, fruit, etc. to enable athletes to quickly increase energy and nutrition levels.
At competition and training venues there will also be food provision suitable for the various sports and appropriate to the competition schedules. These will take into account competition times and the distances of each venue from the athlete villages.
A 'health base' is set to be established at the Athletes' Village in case of potential COVID-19 infection.
- "Basic Strategy for Food & Beverage Services", Tokyo 2020
- About the Food Hall at the 1964 Tokyo Olympics.
- Olympic village nutrition, includes links to information about the menu at other Olympic Games.
- Nutrition and the Olympics
- More about the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games
- History of the Olympic Games Athlete Villages
- Nutrition for Athletes at Major Events