The Melbourne FINA World Championships was the 12th held. It was a very successful event, with 2,158 athletes from 167 countries competing.
- The mascot for the Melbourne Event was Penny the Penguin
- The Championships were held from Saturday 17th March until Sunday 1 April, 2007. The Opening Ceremony was held on Saturday 17 March 2007 at 8.00pm.
- It is estimated the global TV audience was one billion viewers!
- About 2000 athletes from 175 countries competed in five disciplines:
- Open Water Swimming
- Water Polo
- Synchronized Swimming
- The main swimming events were held at the Rod Laver Arena. A specially constructed temporary 50m pool was installed at Rod Laver Arena for the swimming and synchronized swimming. The pool was dropped in, giving a 360 degree spectator view.
- The diving and water polo was held at the Melbourne Sports & Aquatic Centre.
- The 5km, 10km and 25km Open Water Swimming events were free events for spectators, held at St Kilda beach.
- Next World Champs in Rome 2009
- List of all host cities
- Home page for the World Swimming Championships
Any comments, suggestions, or corrections? Please let us know.