The Winter Olympic Games were held in Innsbruck, Austria, in 1964, between Jan 29-Feb 9. The Winter Olympics were held in Innsbruck again in 1976. 36 Nations with 1091 participants competed in 34 events. The U.S.S.R. again led with 25 medals; the United States' won only six medals and finished in eighth place on the medal tally.
- Because of unfavorable weather conditions, the Austrian army was required to carry ice and snow from higher elevations.
- Because of its policy of apartheid, South Africa was barred from these Games, and wasn't invited back until 1992.
- Luge was added to the program for the first time, but sadly a British luger died in the course of a practice run a week before competition started.
- About the Winter OLympics in Innsbruck 1976
- More Winter Olympics Host Countries
- Winter Olympics main page.
- Sport in Austria