Host City: Cortina d'Ampezzo 1956
The Winter Olympic Games were held in Corina d'Ampezzo, Italy, in 1956, between Jan 26-Feb 5. 32 Nations with 820 participants competed in 24 events.
- These were the first Winter Games to be televised.
- At these Games the Soviet Union (USSR) participated in its first ever Winter Olympics, and were able to take home the most medals, including the gold medal in ice hockey.
- Toni Sailer of Austria became the first skier to sweep all three Alpine events.
- The U.S. made a near clean sweep five of the six medals in individual figure skating, the lone exception being Austria's Ingrid Wendl's who won a bronze.
- Videos from Cortina d'Ampezzo 1956 Olympics
- The upcoming 2026 Witer Olympics in Milan and Cortina d'Ampezzo
- More Winter Olympics Host Countries
- Winter Olympics main page.
- Sport in Italy