Wimbledon Tennis Championships
The Wimbledon Championships, officially called “The Lawn Tennis Championships”, is the oldest and arguably most prestigious event in the sport of tennis. It is held annually at the All England Club in Wimbledon, a suburb of London, in June or July every year. The tournament starts six weeks before the first Monday in August, and lasts for two weeks subject to extensions for rain. From 2015, the event start date was extended to one week later so that there was three weeks break after the French Open.
- The tournament is the third Tennis Grand Slam event played each year, preceded by the Australian Open and the French Open, and followed by the U.S. Open (see Grand Slam).
- It is the only Grand Slam event currently played on grass, though the US Open and more recently the Australian Open was once played on grass (see more about court surfaces). See more in the Wimbledon Trivia section.
- See also the Winners and the History of the Tournament, and a listing of the Events held, and books about the tournament.
- Ticketing Information.
- More about the Sport of Tennis
- Analysis of the height of all Wimbledon champions
- Calendar of tennis major tournaments