Sachin Tendulkar: Cricket
Sachin Tendulkar (born April 24, 1973) is a former Indian cricket player considered as one of the greatest batsmen and most admired cricketer of all-time. He became India’s youngest Test cricketer at age 16. He made his Test debut on November 15, 1989 against Pakistan and represented Mumbai domestically and India internationally for 24 years.
Greatest Sporting Achievements
In 2007, Sachin Tendulkar became the first player to record 15,000 runs in ODI and the only player to complete more than 30,000 runs in international cricket. He was ranked the second greatest Test batsman of all time by the Wisden Cricketers’ Almanac and the second greatest ODI batsman of all time. He became a member of the Indian Team that won the 2011 World Cup, his first win after playing for the World Cup six times.
In 1994, he was awarded the Arjuna Award for his outstanding sporting achievement. In 1997, he received the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, India’s highest sporting honor, the Padma Shri, the second highest honor in 1999 and Padma Vibhushan, the second highest civilian award in 2008. He was awarded the Bharat Ratna by the Prime Minister of India in 2013, Indian’s highest civilian award. Tendulkar also won the 2010 Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy as cricketer of the year at the ICC awards in 2010.
Why Was He So Good?
Tendulkar holds almost every batting record in cricket including most runs, hundreds in Tests and ODIs and most international runs. Sachin Tendulkar became the symbol of hope by his countrymen. He played aggressively and inventively which resonated with cricket fans. Despite his increasing wealth, he showed humility and didn’t flaunt his money to the world. With total diligence and hard work with profound natural talent, he became one of the most loved and richest cricketers of all time.
What You May Not Know
- He made his debut for India aged 16 years
- His father was one of the most famous novelists of Maharashtra, Ramesh Tendulkar while his mother Rajni was an insurance professional. He was named after his father's favorite music director, Sachin Dev Burman.
- Sachin Tendulkar married Anjali, a doctor. They dated for five years before getting married in 1995. They have two children and one of them is a budding cricketer.
- He is part of Apnalaya, an organization that sponsors 200 unprivileged children annually. He raised monies for charities and several noble causes like cancer research and education.
- Tendulkar became the first 40-year old and the youngest ever to receive the Bharat Ratna.
- He was the first sportsperson (and the first person without aviation background) to be awarded the honorary rank of Group Captain by the Indian Air Force.
- He bats, bowls and throws with his right hand, but writes with his left hand.
Was he a legend?
Do you agree with Sachin Tendulkar being a legend of cricket?
How would you rate their greatness? (from good to 'the best')
- Rate Sachin as a hero
- Who is better - Don Bradman v Sachin Tendulkar?
- More cricket players
- About Cricket
- Athlete Database home