The World's Fittest Sport
Do you want to know which sport have the fittest athletes, or which sport is the most physically demanding? You may never know for sure, but we are going to investigate, compare and discuss, to try and find out.
Fitness itself is hard to define, so it makes this often asked and debated question equally difficult to define. Here we are interested in the SPORT which requires the greatest overall demands of fitness, and not necessarily the sport with the fittest athlete or greatest athlete. See also about tests and methods for determining the fittest sport.
Fittest Sport Competition
Using a similar approach to that used by ESPN in a competition to determine the World's Greatest Athlete, we decided to hold our own competition using a similar format, but this time compare the sports themselves rather than the athletes, to determine the world's most physically demanding sport. After months of voting, the winner was ironman triathlon!
Other Top Fittest Sports Lists
- ESPN Most demanding Sports — list of which sports are the most demanding, as determined by a panel of experts at ESPN. They think it is boxing.
- Forbes 'Healthiest Sports' — using a few components of fitness plus a couple of other factors to compare sports, they found squash to be the healthiest sport to gain fitness.
- My Fittest Sport List — my top 10 sports considered to be among the highest in fitness requirements. I think it is boxing too.
- Calculated Fittest Sport — using a list of factors of success in sports, and ranking just the fitness components of these for a range of sports, we created a list of the World's Fittest Sports. Boxing again.
- Your Fittest Sport List — Using site visitor's ranking of the fitness components of a range of sports, we determined what you think are the World's Fittest Sports - current leader is boxing and waterpolo.
- Men's Journal List — analysis of sports determined gymnastics to be the most demanding.
Is one of these the world's fittest sport?