Stick Lengthwise Balance Test
- purpose: this test evaluates the ability to maintain a stable equilibrium.
- equipment required: stick measuring 1 × 1 × 12 inches (2.54 × 2.54 × 30.5 cm), stopwatch
- procedure: the subject stands with the ball of both feet on the stick, for as long as possible. The stopwatch is started as the heel is raised from the floor. Several practice attempts should be allowed.
- scoring: the total time balanced on the stick is recorded. The timing is stopped when the heels or any other part of the body touches the ground, or the subject steps off the stick.
- variations: this test can be made more difficult by raising the stick above the floor.
- advantages: this test is simple and easy to perform.
- disadvantages: the balance stick needs to be specifically made for this test.
- other balance tests