Sometimes referred to as the Emirates or simply UAE, the United Arab Emirates is in the southeastern region of the Arabian Peninsula. Traditionally, their sports revolve around animals like falconry and camel racing.
But recently, they have been adapting more western sports and as with most Arab countries, UAE has a soft spot for football and is indeed it's the most popular sport.
Their national football team qualified for the FIFA World Cup in 1990. Their national team also won the 2005 Kirin Cup. They hosted the 2003 FIFA U-20 World Cup. They also took the 2007 Gulf Cup of Nations. Their UAE U-16 national team also qualified for the 2009 Youth World Cup and the UAE U-19 national team qualified for the 2010 World Youth Cup.
UAE has invested highly to football not only because of its status as one of the nation's passions but because they believe that they have a great pool of talent for the sport. Other than football, the UAE also have come to embrace other sports like cricket, tennis, table tennis, basketball, golf, cycling, badminton, rugby and even motorsports. The UAE has indeed emerged as one of the best playgrounds for sports lovers and athletes alike.
Below are details of sports, sporting events and sports people related to United Arab Emirates.
Popular sports of United Arab Emirates
- Football (Soccer), cricket, tennis, table tennis, basketball, golf, cycling, badminton, rugby, motorsports
UAE regional or traditional sports
- Falconry and camel racing
United Arab Emirates Sporting Success
- Shooter Sheikh Ahmed won gold in the double trap in Athens in 2004, UAE's first and so far only Olympic gold medal.
Great athletes from United Arab Emirates
- Sheikh Ahmed bin Hasher - shooting
- Mohammed Ben Sulayem - rally driver
United Arab Emirates Sports trivia
United Arab Emirates at major events
- United Arab Emirates at the Summer Olympics
- UAE at the World Cup
- United Arab Emirates at the AFC Asian Cup
- UAE at the Cricket ODI World Cup
- UAE at the Cricket T20 World Cup
Past sporting events hosted in United Arab Emirates
- 1996 AFC Asian Cup
- 2003 FIFA U-20 World Cup
- 2010 - 10th FINA World Swimming Championships (25m)
- 2019 IWAS World Games in Sharjah
- 2019 AFC Asian Cup
- 2019 Special Olympics World Summer Games: Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
- 2021 Men's ICC World T20 — co-hosted with Oman
- 2021 FINA World Swimming Championships (25 m) in Abu Dhabi.
Upcoming sporting events in United Arab Emirates
Annual sporting events held in United Arab Emirates
Sporting Facilities in United Arab Emirates
- Zayed Sports City Stadium - a multi-purpose stadium located in Zayed Sports City, Abu Dhabi. It is UAE's largest stadium.
- Al-Jazira Mohammed bin Zayed Stadium - a multi-purpose stadium in Abu Dhabi.
Is there something missing? If you know of something that should be listed here, please let me know.