Singapore is one of the few "city-states" in Southeast Asia. It is in the southern end of the Malay Peninsula and has a great love of sports. They have a wide array of sports that they enjoy like football, rugby, cricket, badminton, swimming, basketball, table tennis and cycling.
Singapore have a lot of indoor facilities that allow people to get into basketball and swimming while a variety of sport centers cater to other sports like American football, squash, badminton, gymnastics and volleyball. Being that Singapore is an island country and a well-known port destination even in the early days of sailing, water sports are quite popular as well such as waterskiing and kayaking. But when it comes to popularity, Singaporeans love football. Their national football team was the 1998, 2004, 2007 and 2012 Tiger Cup champions, the top football competition in the whole of South-East Asia.
When it comes to the ultimate international sports stage, Singapore has won only a handful of Olympic Games medals, inclding their first a silver by Tan Howe Liang for weighlifting in 1960. Singapore's first Olympic gold medal was won in 2016 by swimmer Joseph Schooling in the men's 100 meter butterfly. They also won a total of 17 medals (5 Gold, 2 Silver, and 10 Bronze) in the 2002 Asian Games held in their backyard (Busan, Singapore).
Below are details of sports, sporting events and sports people related to Singapore.
Popular sports of Singapore
- Football (Soccer), Badminton, rugby, cricket, swimming, basketball, table tennis, cycling
Singapore's Sporting Success
- Tan Howe Liang for weighlifting silver at the 1960 Rome Summer Olympics
- Li Jiawei, Feng Tianwei and Wang Yuegu won silver for women's double table tennis team event at the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics.
Great athletes from Singapore
- Joseph Schooling (swimming)
Singapore Sports trivia
- Singapore's first Olympic gold medal was won in 2016 by swimmer Joseph Schooling in the men's 100 meter butterfly, beating a trio of tied second place getters which included Michael Phelps.
Singapore at major events
- Singapore at the Summer Olympics
- Singapore at the Winter Olympics
- Singapore at the AFC Asian Cup
- Singapore at the Netball World Cup
Past sporting events hosted in Singapore
Upcoming sporting events in Singapore
- 2025 World Aquatics Championships, Singapore
Annual sporting events held in Singapore
Sporting Facilities in Singapore
Is there something missing? If you know of something that should be listed here, please let me know.