Sport in Myanmar
Myanmar (Burma) is known for different spectator and individual sports - with the most popular sports in the country being football followed closely by golf. Football is the sport everybody in Myanmar is waiting for since the change of their government in the early 90’s, and watching football is their own way of bonding and public gathering. Golf is also one of the most popular sports in Myanmar and this sport can be found all over the country.
Spectator and individual sports are not the only sports that can be found in Myanmar. The people here practice some sports that require strength and energy such as martial arts. There are various kinds of martial arts in Myanmar and the most popular of which is Lethwei. Lethwei is a form of kick boxing and is very popular.. Another popular local sport is Chinlone which is a form of ball-centric game that is very popular in the country and is played by many.
Below are details of sports, sporting events and sports people related to Myanmar. Is there something missing? If you know of something that should be listed here, please let us know.
Popular sports of Myanmar
- Football (Soccer), golf, sepak takraw, cricket
Myanmar Traditional or Regional Sports
- Chinlone — also known as caneball, is the traditional sport of Burma or Myanmar.
- Lethwei — an unarmed Burmese martial art similar to other kickboxing styles from the region.
- Myanmar Thaing - a Myanmar Martial Art
- Bullock Cart Races
- Boat racing
Myanmar Sporting Success
- Myanmar won a gold medal in wushuat the 2002 Asian Games.
Athletes from Myanmar
- Aung La Nsang – MMA, otherwise known as the "Burmese Python"
- San Naing – Track & Field
- Phoe Thaw – MMA
Myanmar Sports trivia
- At the 2012 Olympics, Myanmar was the third most populous nation (53 million people) to not win a medal after Bangladesh (159 million) and the Democratic Republic of Congo (72 million).
- At the 2004 Athens Olympics, weight-lifter Nan Aye Khine finished 4th in 48 kilogram weightlifting, but then was banned after testing positive for steroids.
Myanmar at major events
Past sporting events hosted in Myanmar
- 2013 - Southeast Asian Games
- 2018 - Indochine Cup (Rugby Union)
Upcoming sporting events in Myanmar
Annual sporting events held in Myanmar
- Myanmar National League - the main countrywide football competition
- Yangon Marathon
Sporting Facilities in Myanmar
- Thuwunna stadium, Yangon -often used for international matches
- Aung San stadium, Yangon.
- National Indoor Stadium, Yangon (for Lethwei)
- Thein Byu Indoor Stadium (for Lethwei)
- Pun Hlaing Golf Club - Yangon