There is a very rich sports scene in Macau and it has been an integral part of their culture for a very long time. The great thing about the range of sports in Macau is that you do not have to be a fan of a singular sport to have a great time. The population of Macau loves sports that include football, volleyball, basketball, jogging, table tennis, badminton, rugby, swimming and Dragon Boat racing.
Dragon Boat has a long history in Macau that stretches not just a few decades but nearly a century. In 1979, Macau organized a competition that has become a yearly event that is known as the Dragon Boat Festival, held during the Duanwu Festival.
Football is another popular sport in Macau. Even with the lack of the standard sized football pitches, the people of Macau still get to appreciate the game of football through the smaller artificially build pitches. Basketball is also quite popular and most of the games are played under FIBA standards and rules. Various amateur leagues are organized every year that also helped in the rise of basketball's popularity in the country.
Macau is also the home of a number of international sporting events that include the Macau International Marathon, Macau Open, FIVB Volleyball Grand Prix and of course, the Macau Grand Prix.
Below are details of sports, sporting events and sports people related to the territory of Macau. See also sport in China. Is there something missing? If you know of something that should be listed here, please let us know.
Popular sports of Macau
- Football (Soccer), volleyball, basketball, jogging, table tennis, badminton, rugby, swimming and Dragon Boat racing.
Macau Sporting Success
Great athletes from Macau
Macau Sports trivia
- The Macau football team nickname is a Equipa Verde, which means “the Green Team” in Portuguese
Macau at major events
Past sporting events hosted in Macau
- 2005 East Asian Games host
- 2006 Lusophony Games
- 2007 Asian Indoor Games
Upcoming sporting events in Macau
Annual sporting events held in Macau
- Macau Grand Prix, takes place every November.
- The Macau Golf Open - a professional golf tournament held in May each year since 1998, one of the rounds of the Asian Tour.
- Macau International Marathon - held in December every year.
- Dragon Boat Festival
Sporting Facilities in Macau
- Macau Golf and Country Club situated at Coloane, Macau
- Macau is part of the East Asian Games