Sport in Kenya
Kenya is one of the founding nations of the East African Community and sports have been part of the nation’s culture since its prehistory. Sports is a way for the Kenyan to reconnect with their past and is also a means to get international acknowledgement.
Some of the traditional sports in Kenya include wrestling, racing, hunting and even board games. Football is the most popular sport in Kenya but their national football team has not made that much of an impact in the international stage. Some of the other popular sports in Kenya include basketball, volleyball, rugby union, swimming, baseball and softball.
With all of the sport played in Kenya, one in particular has put the country’s name on the map and that is athletics, track and field to be specific. There are a lot of Kenyans who have made a name for themselves such as David Rudisha, a World Record Holder for 800m and is one of the most dominant world champions. Kenya has racked up an impressive medal count in the Olympic Games thanks to its runners like Pamela Jalimo and Samuel Wanjiru. Kenya is also a world power when it comes to long distance running with roster of world record holders including Kipchoge Keino, Tegla Laroupe, Catherine Ndereba and Paul Tergat.
Below are details of sports, sporting events and sports people related to Kenya. Is there something missing? If you know of something that should be listed here, please let us know.
Popular sports of Kenya
- Football (Soccer), Track and Field, basketball, volleyball, rugby union, swimming, baseball and softball
Kenya's Sporting Success
Athletes from Kenya
- Vivian Cheruiyot (Track and Field)
- David Rudisha
- Pamela Jalimo
- Samuel Wanjiru
- Kipchoge Keino
Kenya Sports trivia
- Vivian Cheruiyot, Laureus Sportswoman of the Year 2012.
- Philip Boit is the first Kenyan to participate in the Winter Olympics. The cross-country skier was Kenya's sole representative at the Winter Games in 1998, 2002 and 2006.
Kenya at major events
- Kenya at the Summer Olympics
- Kenya at the Winter Olympics
- Kenya at the Commonwealth Games
- Kenya at the Cricket ODI World Cup
- Kenya at the Cricket T20 World Cup
Past sporting events hosted in Kenya
Upcoming sporting events in Kenya
Annual sporting events held in Kenya
Sporting Facilities in Kenya
Is there something missing? If you know of something that should be listed here, please let me know.