Costa Rica is another Central American state that has embraced soccer. The Costa Rican national soccer team played in the FIFA World Cup four times and finally reached the quarter-finals in 2014. They also played in the CONCACAF Gold Cup where they became a runner-up in 2002, their best performance yet.
Paulo Wanchope is one of the players who made the world recognize the talent of Costa Rican players. He played forward for various clubs in the Premiere League of England in the later part of 1990's all the way to the early 2000.
Costa Rica is also one of the few Central American countries that have joined both the Summer and Winter Olympic Games, 1936 and 1980 respectively. In the latest count, the country have taken a total of four Olympic medals, all of which was by Silvia and Claudia Poll who represented the country in swimming.
Claudia Poll is the only Costa Rican who has won an Olympic gold medal which she snatched during the 1996 Atlanta Games. The other three medals were a silver, by Silvia Poll in the 1988 Seoul Games and 2 bronze, both of which are from Claudia Poll in the 2000 Sydney Games.
Below are details of sports, sporting events and sports people related to Costa Rica. Is there something missing? If you know of something that should be listed here, please let us know.
Popular sports of Costa Rica
- Football (Soccer), beach volleyball, golf, mountain biking, basketball, baseball, surfing, tennis, bull-fighting
Costa Rica Sporting Success
- reaching the quarter-finals at the 2014 FIFA World Cup
- Winner CONCACAF Championship (1963, 1969)
Great athletes from Costa Rica
- Paulo Wanchope (Football)
- Claudia Poll (swimming)
Costa Rica Sports trivia
- Costa Rica is one of the few Central American countries that have participated in both the Summer and Winter Olympic Games
- Swimmer Claudia Poll Ahrens won the COsta Rica's first Olympic gold medal in the 200m freestyle event at the 1996 Atlanta Games.
Costa Rica at major events
- Costa Rica at the Summer Olympics
- Costa Rica at the Winter Olympics
- Costa Rica at the FIFA World Cup
- Costa Rica women's football team at the FIFA Women's World Cup
Past sporting events hosted in Costa Rica
Upcoming sporting events in Costa Rica
Annual sporting events held in Costa Rica
- The Primera División de Costa Rica
- Costa Rica International Marathon, San Jose.
- Ruta de los Conquistadores Mountain Bike Race
Sporting Facilities in Costa Rica
- Estadio Nacional (National Stadium) in La Sabana Park
- Estadio Ricardo Saprissa in Tibas