Sport in Botswana
This former British protectorate Bechuanaland became an independent state in 1966. The country is mostly flat and largely a desert territory which makes it perfect for certain sports like the Desert Race which is an annual motor race in July that consist of 1,000 km of some of the roughest terrain on earth. This kind of competition is not new to Botswana since they have a race of their own involving donkeys which has been happening for a really long time.
However, the most popular sport in Botswana is football, no doubt due to the British influence in the country. Other popular sports include cricket, rugby, tennis, softball, badminton, golf and track and field. As a matter of fact, their only Olympic medal since they first participated in the Olympics in 1980 is from Nijel Amos who took the silver medal for the 800m in the 2012 London Olympic Games.
He is not the only athlete that has made a name for himself in athletics. Other athletes from this country includes 800m runner, Glody Dube who had success at the 2000 Sydney Olympics. Following his trail are California Molefhe and Amantle Montsho (both 400m runners), Gable Garenamotse (long jump) and finally Kabelo Kgosiemang (high jump) was a three-time African champion.
Below are details of sports, sporting events and sports people related to Botswana. Is there something missing? If you know of something that should be listed here, please let us know.
Popular sports of Botswana
- Football (Soccer), boxing, softball, cricket, rugby, tennis, badminton, golf, track & field.
Botswana Sporting Success
- Only Olympic medal by Botswana is from Nijel Amos who took the silver medal for the 800m in the 2012 London Olympic Games.
- Botswana won 6 medals at the All-Africa Games in Abuja, Nigeria in 2003.
Athletes from Botswana
- Nijel Amos (track and field)
- Isaac Makwala (track and field)
- Amantle Montsho (track and field)
Botswana Sports trivia
- Botswana competed as an independent country for the first time in the 1980 Moscow Olympic Games.
- The nickname of the Botswana football team is the 'Zebras'
Botswana at major events
Past sporting events hosted in Botswana
Upcoming sporting events in Botswana
Annual sporting events held in Botswana
- Desert Race (motor sports)