Royal Canadian Navy Fitness Testing
The Royal Navy (RN) is the principal naval warfare service branch of the British Armed Forces. The Royal Navy requires new recruits to undergo fitness assessments as part of the recruitment process. Below is some information about the fitness requirements and standards. This information is presented for discussion - for up to date information see official sources.
FORCE Fitness Testing
This information applies to the Royal Canadian Navy, Canadian Army and Royal Canadian Air Force.
The Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) implemented an updated military fitness program in April, 2013 - a universal fitness standard all Canadian Forces members must meet. The new program includes a new fitness test, called the FORCE Evaluation, which replaces the 30-year-old Canadian Forces EXPRES Test. By April 2014, the FORCE Evaluation will fully replace the CF EXPRES test.
The FORCE Evaluation has been scientifically validated and developed specifically for the CAF. Instead of the traditional push-up and sit-up tests, the FORCE Program evaluates the ability to execute tasks that are directly linked to true-to-life physical challenges faced on military operations.
The FORCE Evaluation consists of these four test components. All CAF members will be tested annually and will be required to achieve one common minimum standard, regardless of age and gender.
- Sandbag Lift: 30 consecutive lifts of a 20 kilogram sandbag above a height of 1 meter, alternating between left and right sandbags separated by 1.25 meters. Standard: 3 minutes 30 seconds.
- Intermittent Loaded Shuttles: Using the 20 meter lines, complete ten 20 meter shuttles alternating between a loaded shuttle with a 20 kilogram sand bag and unloaded shuttles, for a total of 400 meters. Standard: 5 minutes 21 seconds.
- 20-Metre Rushes: Starting from prone, complete two 20 meter shuttle sprints dropping to a prone position every 10 meters, for a total of 80 meters. Standard: 51 seconds.
- Sandbag Drag: Carry one 20 kilogram sandbag and pull four on the floor over 20 m without stopping. Standard: Complete without stopping.
The workplace assessment tests listed here are believed to be accurate at the time it was accessed. Testing protocols and standards are often changed. Please see official sources for accurate up to date information. If you have corrections please contact me or use the comments form below.
- More Navy tests, including the Navy PRT and BCA
- Fitness testing for Army, Air Force, Law Enforcement (Police), Fire Department