Wearable devices are the newest technology in fitness. There are apps available that turn your smart phone into a jump height measuring device, and also specific and more practical wearable devices (such as the Vert). These devices utilize the device's gyroscope and accelerometer to calculate jump height. This is one of many methods available for measuring vertical jump height. See the discussion and list of available methods.
About: This device calculates vertical jump height by measuring body movement using the in built gyroscope and accelerometer.
Instructions: vertical jump height can be measured anywhere, no wall or external device is required as in other methods. To measure maximum jump height, stand with both feet comfortably apart. When ready, jump as high as possible.
Disadvantages: Is expensive if a phone or specific device needs to be purchased.
Advantages: very light and portable, and inconspicuous. Can be worn in training and even possibly competition.
Example: The VERT is a wearable miniature inertial measurement unit (IMU) for measuring jump heights.
- The physics of the vertical jump
- Other vertical jump equipment
- Poll: Which equipment do you use to measure vertical jump?
- Procedure for Vertical Jump Testing
- Jump mats and other vertical jump devices in the fitness testing store
- About vertical jump techniques
- Vertical Jump World Records
- Fitness Testing Apps