Ball badminton is a team game and a type of racket sport, that is played in India. Ball badminton is played using a yellow ball made of wool, rather than a shuttlecock as in badminton.
Ball badminton is played on a court, which is around 12 by 24 meters, divided by a net. Ball badminton can either be played outdoors or indoors.
Games are played between two teams, usually with five players per team. There are also doubles and mixed doubles versions. In these formats, two players from each team participate.
The game starts when the ball is served. The server should be on the right side of the court, and the server should move to the left when a point is scored. The ball can be returned by any of the players of the opposing team.
When the team reaches the 18th, 15th, and 22nd point, the teams change positions, but the server will continue to change between the right and left courts. In “fives” tournaments, a team can have eight formally designated players, and any of the five can plays. In doubles, the team use three players. Substitutions are allowed at any time.
- Badminton — an indoor game with rackets in which a shuttlecock is hit back and forth across a net.
- Crossminton — a variation of badminton played with no net suitable for playing outdoors.
- Air Badminton — an outdoor version of badminton using a heavier shuttle that flies better in the wind.
- Para Badminton — versions of badminton for disabled athletes, either standing, in a wheelchair, or played while sitting.
- Tennikoit — played with a rubber ring, in which the objective is to catch and throw a ring back onto the opponent's half of the court.