Of the thousands of sports that are found throughout the world, there are many more that are not played anymore. We have listed and described a few of these. Below are more that have been suggested or are earmarked to be added to this site. If you have any other Ancient and Extinct Sports suggestions, please send me a message.
More Ancient and Extinct Sports
- Old Cat – (also known as ol' cat or cat-ball) were bat-and-ball games played in the 19th century in North America. The games were numbered according to the number of bases, and the number of bases varied according to the number of players.
- Dakyu - an asian equestrian sport a bit like polo.
- Battledore and shuttlecock (or jeu de volant) - an early sport related to modern badminton.
- Episkyros - a sport played in ancient Greece
- Grappling (FILA) — a non-striking hybrid submission wrestling sport that was sanctioned by the International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles (FILA) (from 2007 till 2013).
- Longa Meta — an old Hungarian game similar to stickball or even baseball played by children.
- Marn Grook — Australian Aboriginal game.
- Pentathlon — Ancient Olympic competition comprisign long jump, javelin throwing, discus throwing, the stadion (a short foot race) and wrestling.
- Pentathlon — a modern athletics variation on the Ancient Olympic events, with a competition over five track and field events.
- Russian Boxing — the traditional bare-knuckle boxing of Russia.
- Svaika — a favorite throwing game of Russian lower-class men up to 20th century. A marlinspike-like spear is thrown to land in the middle of a metal ring lying on the ground some distance away.
- The Massachusetts Game — an early form of baseball. So was Town Ball
- Winter Pentathlon — once a demonstration event at the 1948 Winter Olympics, now rarely competed internationally.
- Chole in Belgium and France, jeu de mail in France, and the klosbaan in the Netherlands. Old stick and ball sports in Europe.
- List of Extinct Sports
- About Extinct Sports
- Complete List of Sports
- Discontinued Olympic Sports
- suggested unusual sports
- suggested sports to the complete sports list
- suggested new sports