The physical demands of cycling vary greatly among the cycling disciplines, from sprint track cyclists to cycling multiple day tour type road events. The training for cyclists need to reflect the demands of the sporting discipline.
Track sprint cyclists will focus their training on improving power and strength, while the endurance based road cyclists would be interested in improving their aerobic capacity (VO2max). Of all the fitness components important for cycling, strength and power are rated highly. CHeck out our article on exercises to help cyclists ride faster.
More on Fitness
- Fitness Testing — example tests for assessing the fitness of cyclists.
- Fitness Components — a discussion about the components of fitness which are important for the sport of cycling.
- Top Exercises to Help Cyclists Ride Faster — exercises to help increase your power, strength, and therefore your speed on your bike.
- Cycling Fitness Testing, also Talent ID testing
- Cycling Anthropometry
- Poll about the fitness components for cycling
- Fitness for Sports
- List of Fitness Tests