Michigan Stadium, located in Ann Arbor, Michigan, is an American Football stadium that belongs to the University of Michigan. The stadium is more popularly known by its nickname "The Big House". It is the third largest stadium in the world and the largest in the United States.
The stadium was built in 1927 with an initial capacity of 72,000. Future modifications have increased its capacity to its current official capacity of 107,601. But the stadium footings have been installed in such a way that it can easily allow for expansions to accommodate up to 200,000.
The stadium is primarily used for playing college football games. The University of Michigan Wolverines host all their home games in this stadium. Michigan's home games at The Big House have recorded an attendance of over 100,000 for every single home game for the last several decades. There are several occasions where the attendance has far exceeded the official capacity.
Major Events Held at Michigan Stadium
Here are just some of the major events that have been held at Michigan Stadium:
2014 International Champions Cup
Michigan Stadium Trivia
- The highest attendance at the stadium was recorded at 115,109, on September 7th, 2013, for a Michigan's game against Notre Dame.
- The International Champions Cup match held at Michigan Stadium on August 2, 2014, between United and Real Madrid had an attendance of 109,318 which is to date the largest crowd for a soccer game in the United States.
- It has also been occasionally used for playing ice hockey and soccer matches. Two hockey matches, "The Big Chill at the Big House" between Michigan and Michigan State, and NHL's Winter Classic match between Detroit and Toronto, had an attendance in excess of 100,000.
- This stadium is high on the list of the top 10 World's Largest Sporting Stadiums. This stadium capacity returned to above Beaver Stadium in 2010 after renovations had temporarily reduced its capacity.
- All stadiums list
- Top-10 largest stadiums in the world
- Top-10 largest stadiums in the USA
- More USA Stadiums
- Sport in the USA